Monday, August 24, 2009

First Audio Drama



Star Wars Omega Squad: Targets was my very first venture as a voice actor, in which the show eventually became a reality. At the time, I was dealing with a mic that was either 5 dollars, or 8, I don't remember. But it was cheeeaap and very, very noisy. Of course, that didn't stop me from trying something I wanted to do. I've always enjoyed acting in some sense, as I did all the high school theater stuff, and a little after that. Quit that for good, until it hit me how much I like OTR, and audio drama in general. I discovered the comeback of audio drama on the net, and wanted to be a part. It beats the dress rehearsals, line memorization, costumes, and all that stuff. That just wasn't for me anymore.

Another thing, I've always been one of those people who would talk in various voices out of the blue, even to myself. Odd? Maybe, but at least their is a legit outlet for it now. So, now I'm a voice actor, not a lunatic. Neighbors may think otherwise, especially with those loud, cartoonish roles.

Back to Omega Squad. I auditioned for a few roles, and at the time didn't think much about the mic problem, but it later occured to me. That doesn't mean I would have gotten a bigger role with the greatest mic in the world, just that I realised it was a problem. I wasn't getting anywhere with a few other various auditions. The producer of Omega Squad:Targets, Dany Pepin, e-mailed me after the auditions, and asked me if I could do a Mon Calamari kind of voice. I thought I could do a very passable one, and sent it along. And, that was me, Senator Till. One line... maybe 2? I'd have to check again. In any event, it was used in a very creative way, terrible mic and all. It was obviously very kind of him to give me a role in the first place, and that's one I'll never forget.

Omega Squad: Targets