Monday, August 24, 2009

Pet Peeves

Ok, everyone has these. I have to say though, I am very tolerant in the voice acting realm. I figure everyone has theirs, and for all I know, I may be somebody's pet peeve. Some people complain about everything for some reason or other. I'm not there at this point, but here's one...

This is the worst for me. When someone casts you, you got the role, but then they say if someone comes along that better fits the role, they will cast them instead. "That's how they work". This is mentioned after you'd been casted, mind you. I'm sorry, I'll put up with a lot, but that is just being a doormat. I don't like that. For the right price of course, I'll be a doormat. Under normal circumstances, forget it. This happened to me long ago, and I didn't appreciate it. It was a minor dub thing, back when I was less picky about what I auditioned for. But really, nothing against fan dubs, especially if the topic interests me, but usually if it's a dub for a known character I have no clue about, and am supposed to have a similar voice, I don't know that I'm all that comfortable doing them.

I know a show being cancelled can rub people wrong, especially after they've turned in a good amount of recording for the production. That's happened to me a couple of times, but it's nothing major. Sometimes they came back after cancellation, and eventually got released. I can understand cancellations, because the person cancelling may very well have a good reason for it we can't understand or relate to. For me personally, I may be ticked off for awhile, but in the end, oh well. I do understand however, why people would get hot over it. There are literally only so many hours in a day afterall.

As for dubs, I generally don't do them. I prefer the audio realm typically, unless the subject of video interests me in some way. Now, when someone e-mails me and asks if I would audition, or play a part in their dub due to hearing me elsewhere, or through a recommendation, I may do it. Afterall, I'm flattered that one, I was recommended, and two, someone was interested in my voice. So, unless it's a long demanding project that doesn't interest me, I may say yes out of pure humbleness.

Other than that, I'll turn something down because I have too much on the plate at the moment, and/or other things going on not allowing for me to focus on voice acting.

For the very most part, I've worked with great people.